v5.0.1 install over top of v4.7 does not work

Baldrick

v5.0.1 install over top of v4.7 does not work

Post by Baldrick »

Hi there

Have reported this via the application reporting facility but no reponse from the Development Team. So I thought I would try raising it here in case someone else had had the same issue/has a solution for it.

Tried install v5.0.1 over the top of the current version (which is working very well) but all I get, after what appears to be a normal installation, is (i) the USBSR icon sitting in the system tray but not responsive to either double clicking or right clicking, (ii) the Win+S hot key fails to bring up the usual dialog & (iii) trying to access the application from the icon in the Start Menu just results in the pointer showing something is busy and then changes back to normal...but no Settings dialog is opened.

I am therefore at a loss to understand what the issue is as (i) the website says that an over existing version install is OK & (ii) the current version works flawlessly?

What I did see was some reference in the Task Manager to "Zentimo" but I assume that this is due to the new version of USBSR being now based on a common core that is shared with the other product...or is it significant?

Anyway, running Win7 Home Premium 64bit.

If anyone can advise as to what I should try next...I would be most grateful, otherwise I will have to stay with v4.7.

Regards

Baldrick
Baldrick

Re: v5.0.1 install over top of v4.7 does not work

Post by Baldrick »

Anyone ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Baldrick

Post by Baldrick »

Sorry to say but this is turning out to be the worst forum I have become a member of...no response from anyone in terms of my post (not even a mod) but then again...should not be surprised as I logged the same query via the support mechanism in USBSR and have heard absolutely nothing from the developers.

Is there anyway to rescind my membership here? Having it seems to be a waste of time.
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

Baldrick,
I'm sorry for not responding in time.

Can you try the latest beta version, 5.2 beta 1, the mentioned problem should be fixed there.
Baldrick

Post by Baldrick »

Hi Igor

No problem, thanks for the reply and the offer of using the latest beta. Much appreciated.

As it happens since my last post I have tried to solve the problem myslef and somehow I believe that I have succeeded as I have v5.0.1 working fine now. I think that the issue was that I tried to install it over v4 and as I detect that v5 is built on a different base from v4 (I believe the core is common with Zentimo?) I suspect that something clashed in the upgrade.

I finally uninstalled v4, cleaned my system's Registry to make sure all traces of v4 where gone and then installed v5...and that seemed to do the trick...no issues s far and v5 working like a dream...as did v4.

So again, thank you for your response, and please excuse the harsh words of my previous post...that were born out of frustration at the time. :oops:

Regards

Baldrick :D
Last edited by Baldrick on Apr 24th, 2012, 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Igor
Developer

Post by Igor »

Yes, the new USB Safely Remove core is the same with Zentimo and some minor issues may happen due to the significant changes. No problem for your words we deserved them, we should monitor the forums more frequently.
Baldrick

Post by Baldrick »

Hi Igor

Just to finish up v5.0.1.1161 is performing flawlessly here and better than v4. Nice job!

I look forward to the next release (but may try out the beta shortly).

Regards

Baldrick